Mama's arroz con leche. Rice pudding. Put the water, rice, and cinnamon stick in a medium-size heavy saucepan set over medium-high heat. Transfer the pudding to a serving bowl. Dust the top of the pudding with ground cinnamon and serve.
Rice pudding (arroz con leche) made the traditional Mexican way, with both whole and evaporated milk and an aromatic touch of cinnamon. This recipe was the closest to my grandmothers style of arroz con leche. All of the other recipes call for raisins (yuck soggy raisins). You can cook Mama's arroz con leche. Rice pudding using 6 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Mama's arroz con leche. Rice pudding
- It’s 100 g of short grain or pudding rice.
- It’s of Boiling water.
- It’s 700 ml of milk.
- Prepare 1 of cinnamon stick.
- You need of Rind of one lemon.
- It’s 100 g of sugar.
Classic Arroz Con Leche – A Variation Of Rice Pudding That Is Sweet And Cooked With Milk, Evaporated Milk And Sweetened Condensed Milk And Topped With Cinnamon. A sweet rice dessert flavored with cinnamon and raisins, arroz con leche is a beloved treat in Mexican cuisine. One of the most popular sweet desserts we have in our Mexican culture is the "Arroz con leche", which, as with the other candies or desserts I mentioned above, is all natural, easy to make and very delicious. It reminded me of mama's house!
Mama's arroz con leche. Rice pudding instructions
- Boil rice in plenty water for about 8 minutes.
- Heat up milk with cinnamon stick and lemon rind to flavour, bring to nearly boiling temperature.
- Drain the rice from water in a sieve.
- Return milk and rice together to simmer for 12 minutes or until rice totally cooked stirring occasionally.
- Remove lemon rind and cinnamon from milk and add the sugar stirring to dissolve.
- Divide equally into individual ramekins to cool. It should be quite runny as the rice will absorb some of the milk later.
- Let it cool and store in fridge.Sprinkle with ground cinnamon to eat.
Arroz con Leche is a traditional Latin American dessert that translates to rice with milk. To create a creamy and rich texture to the pudding, a simple cashew cream is used. Using the cashew cream does take some planning in advance since you have to soak the cashews; however it is worth it. This arroz con leche recipe comes from a calender cookbook called Mexico, The Beautiful Cookbook. My Mother-in-law was about to throw it out and I found this wonderful rice pudding recipe in it.