Vegan Sarmale (stuffed cabbage leaves).
You can cook Vegan Sarmale (stuffed cabbage leaves) using 15 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vegan Sarmale (stuffed cabbage leaves)
- You need 500 ml of tomato sauce.
- You need 300 g of short grained rice.
- You need 1 of whole pickled cabbage.
- Prepare 1 of large onion.
- You need 1 of large carrot.
- Prepare 500 g of mushrooms.
- It’s 100 g of dried soy mince.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of coriander.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1 tbsp of thyme.
- You need of Freshly chopped dill.
- You need 2-3 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 tbsp of sweet paprika.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of sunflower oil.
Vegan Sarmale (stuffed cabbage leaves) step by step
- Rinse the rice and let it soak for 15 minutes..
- Cut up the mushrooms, onion, carrot using a food processor..
- Add the oil to a pan and sauté the the vegetables for about 10 minutes. Also add thyme, dill, salt, pepper and coriander..
- Add the rice and minced soy with about 400ml of water and cook for about 5 minutes. Let it cool while you prepare the cabbage..
- Cut out the core of the cabbage and carefully separate the leaves. Rinse the leaves using cold water..
- Place some cabbage at the bottom of a pot..
- Add 1-2 tbsp of stuffing to each leaf and roll them up making sure to tuck in the sides at the end..
- Place the rolls on the bed of cabbage bits in the pot. Add the bay leaf and the paprika on top of the roles and pour the tomato sauce in as well. Make sure to add enough water to cover all the rolls..
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil on low heat for 2-3 hours. Make sure you check every so often in case you need to add more water. Here it is important to mention to only add enough water to not burn the rolls through the cooking process..