Egyptian Moussaka/Messa'aa (Vegan/Vegetarian).
You can cook Egyptian Moussaka/Messa'aa (Vegan/Vegetarian) using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Egyptian Moussaka/Messa'aa (Vegan/Vegetarian)
- It’s 2 of Garlic Cloves Crushed.
- Prepare 2 of Tomatoes Sliced.
- It’s 1 Can of Crushed Tomatoes.
- It’s 1 Cup of Passata.
- Prepare 1 Can of Chickpeas.
- You need of Spices.
- It’s 1 tbs of 7 Spices.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Salt.
- You need 1 tsp of Pepper.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Hot Chili Powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Ground Cumin.
- Prepare of Quite a lot of Olive Oil.
- Prepare of Produce.
- Prepare 2 of Eggplants Thickly Sliced.
- It’s 1/2 of Onion Sliced.
- Prepare 1/2 of Onion Chopped.
Egyptian Moussaka/Messa'aa (Vegan/Vegetarian) instructions
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with foil and brush with oil, lay Eggplant slices and drizzle with oil, salt, pepper and Spices (keep most of Spices for the sauce). Alternatively, you can fry the Eggplant in batches and place on absorbent towel..
- Bake for 10-15mins on each side.
- While the Eggplant is baking, prepare the sauce..
- The Sauce – Heat a table spoon of olive oil in a pot. Add chopped onion (not the sliced) & garlic until soft. Add the chickpeas and Spices and stir for a minute. Add the passata and canned tomatoes, bring to boil and simmer for approx 15-20mins.
- Once Eggplant is baked, remove from oven and line the bottom of a baking tray with Eggplant slices. Then a layer of the sauce, followed by tomato slices, sliced onion and repeat process..
- Place back in oven and bake for 40mins or so (you may want to cover the dish in foil for the first 20mins)..
- I forgot to take a pic after pulling it out of the oven. Just wanted to eat 😂.