You Tiao | Chinese Cruller.
You can cook You Tiao | Chinese Cruller using 11 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of You Tiao | Chinese Cruller
- You need 125 g of Water,.
- You need 6 g of Sea Salt,.
- You need 6 g of Egg White,.
- It’s 1 g of Baking Powder,.
- You need 3 g of Baking Soda,.
- Prepare 1 g of Ammonium Bicarbonate,.
- You need 200 g of Unbleached All Purpose Flour,.
- It’s of Canola / Grapeseed / Peanut / Vegetable Oil, For Deep Frying.
- You need of Gianduja, For Serving.
- You need of Icing Sugar, For Dusting.
- You need of Cinnamon Powder, For Dusting.
You Tiao | Chinese Cruller step by step
- You can check out my previous recipe for Gianduja. Or visit: https://www.fatdough.sg/post/gianduja.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine water, salt, egg white, baking powder, baking soda and ammonium bicarbonate. Stir to combine well and dissolve all the leavening agents. Gradually, add in the flour while still mixing with your other hand or spatula..
- Combine the mixture well until it becomes a dough. You can do this by hand or a spatula. Once it becomes a dough, knead the dough inside the bowl until all the nooks and crannies of flour are kneaded into the dough, about 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a very lightly floured surface, continue kneading for another 3 to 5 minutes..
- The dough should be smooth and not sticky. It should pass the "window-pane" test. The hydration is 62.5%. The ratio of water to dough should be just right. But, if the dough is too dry, add in water, 1 TBSP at a time. If the dough is too sticky, add in flour, 1 TBSP at a time. Roll the dough into a ball..
- Lightly grease the mixing bowl and dough ball with oil. Cover with a damp lint-free kitchen towel. Set aside for 1 hour. Grease working surface lightly with oil..
- Roll the dough into a rectangle with about 1/8 inch thickness. Slice the rectangle into half lengthwise. Slice into 1 inch thick ribbons. You should get 28 ribbons..
- Stack 1 ribbon onto another ribbon which makes 14 stacked ribbons. Slice the stacked ribbons into halves. You should end up with 28 small stacked ribbons..
- Cover with the damp lint-free kitchen towel. Set aside for 15 mins. Prepare a dutch oven, over medium-high heat with at least 2 inches of oil. *To check the temperature, insert a wooden chopstick into the oil. If bubbles form around the chopstick, the oil is ready for deep frying.*.
- Cover the rest of the dough when working with 1. The will prevent the rest of the dough from drying out.* Press a chopstick in the center of the stacked ribbon gently lengthwise to create a sort of groove. Gently pinch both ends and stretch..
- Just before dropping into the oil, give the dough another stretch. *Be very careful as the oil is super hot.* The dough will puff up immediately..
- Once the bottom is golden brown, flip. Deep fried until both sides are golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside on a wire cooling rack or a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain off excess oil..
- Repeat the process for the remaining dough. Serve with some Gianduja immediately. You can dust the You Tiao with some icing sugar and cinnamon powder. I prefer mine plain..