Asian duck and blood orange salad. Like all citrus fruits, blood oranges are a great source of vitamin C and fiber. But you may not have known that their red pigment, anthocyanin, is a strong antioxidant. In a large bowl, combine shredded duck, salad greens, hazelnuts, and orange sections.
Juicy duck breasts on top of a salad of Asian greens and caramelised oranges dressed with a zesty soy dressing. Place the Asian salad leaves onto two plates, add the caramelised orange segments, sliced duck breasts and drizzle with the dressing. This was a salad I rustled up last night based on a smoked duck breast I was given to try by the Somerset smokery Brown & Forrest when I visited the other day. You can cook Asian duck and blood orange salad using 13 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Asian duck and blood orange salad
- You need of Duck breast.
- It’s Pinch of 5 spice.
- It’s Leaf of (of your choice).
- It’s 1 of blood orange.
- Prepare of Cucumber.
- It’s of Plum tomato.
- Prepare Handful of cashew nuts.
- Prepare of Soy sauce.
- You need of Rice vinegar.
- It’s of Sesame oil.
- Prepare of Extra virgin olive oil.
- It’s of Hoisin sauce.
- Prepare of Coriander.
I immediately thought of partnering it with seasonal blood oranges and watercress but as the latter was sold out at my local greengrocer. Vietnamese-style crispy duck salad with blood oranges. Make the most of the short blood orange season (roughly from January to March) with this delicious Vietnamese-style crispy duck salad. I see duck on a menu and I automatically draw to it.
Asian duck and blood orange salad instructions
- Score the fat of the duck breast, season with salt pepper and five spice, and place in a cold, dry pan over a medium high heat.
- Fry until the skin is crispy, 6 minutes or so, then flip. Mean while chop the salad and orange and add to a salad bowl.
- After another few mins, transfer the duck to an oven and bake for a further 10-15 mins until pink, or to your preference. Be sure to let it rest when cooked.
- Mix the oils and sauces and shake, and toss the salad in the dressing, then plate up with your duck, a further drizzle of dressing, and finally sprinkle over cashews and chopped coriander..
This was a great recipe even with fennel! Now fennel is not my favourite and I thought it would spoil By frying the fennel it takes away that aniseed taste that can sometimes be a little overwhelming for some. The orange gave it that mild tangy taste. With killer croutons & toasted walnuts. Meanwhile, top and tail the oranges, cut away the peel, then finely slice into rounds (removing any pips).