Classic Victoria Sponge.
You can cook Classic Victoria Sponge using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Classic Victoria Sponge
- You need 225 g of soft butter/soft margerine.
- Prepare 225 g of Caster Sugar.
- It’s 225 g of Self raising flour.
- It’s 4 of Eggs.
- You need 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Prepare of for the filling.
- It’s of Gert dollops of whatever jam you fancy!.
- It’s 140 g of soft butter.
- You need 225 g of Icing sugar.
Classic Victoria Sponge step by step
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease 2 x 8" sandwich tins.
- Put ALL the cake ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix till smooth (either by hand or with a mixer!). Then divide the cake batter evenly between the tins..
- Put in the oven and bake for about 25 mins until risen. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool..
- Whilst the cakes are cooking/cooling, mix the Icing sugar and butter together until smooth..
- When the cakes are cool, spread a good dollop of your chosen jam over one half of the cake. Then spread the buttercream on the other half (saving half for the top if you prefer).
- "Sandwich" the two cakes together and there it is, in all its scrumminess 😊❤️.