Dr Pepper smokey pulled pork.
You can have Dr Pepper smokey pulled pork using 13 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Dr Pepper smokey pulled pork
- It’s of Dry rub.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper.
- You need 2 tbsp of smoked paprika.
- You need 2 tbsp of sea salt.
- You need 1 tbsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 1 tbsp of ground black pepper.
- It’s 1 tbsp of dry mustard (English).
- You need 2 tsp of thyme.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of soft dark brown sugar.
- It’s of for the pork.
- Prepare 2 1/2 kg of pork, boned shoulder, skin removed.
- You need 1 of onion, peeled.
- Prepare 500 ml of Dr Pepper.
Dr Pepper smokey pulled pork instructions
- Place all rub ingredients in a bowl or screw topped jar, mix well..
- Put pork on large plate, rub in half of spice mix, ensure even coat rubbing into any cavities. Wrap tightly in cling film, place in fridge for at least 2 hours, overnight is better!.
- Preheat oven to 150C /130C fan oven..
- Slice onion into thin wedges and place in bottom of a casserole with a tight fitting lid..
- Rub pork with remaining spice mix, place pork on top of onions, pour in Dr Pepper, put on lid..
- Place in oven and cook for 5 hours, turning after 2 & 4 hours..
- Remove pork from pan and check if cooked and shreds easily, if not return to oven for further hour..
- Allow pork to rest,covered in foil, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile skim fat from cooking liquor, at this point you can remove onion if not using later. Put liquor in a pan, boil and reduce by half..
- Shred the pork with two forks, removing any fat and gristle..
- Return pork to pan, add cooking liquor (& onions if using) and heat through..
- If you don't have smoked paprika, use paprika and add 1 -2 teaspoons liquid smoke at step 5, (adjust amount to your own taste).
- Serve in warm rolls or wraps with coleslaw and / or salad. You can add your favourite barbecue sauce, but this recipe is moist and spicy enough.
- You can cook this recipe in a slow cooker(crockpot) on low for 6 -8 hours or high for 3-4. then follow steps 7 to 13..
- You can substitute your favourite Cola drink in place of Dr Pepper..