Seafood chowder and Soda bread. Tried many different combinations (including replacing calamari with lobster meat). For seafood, I used fresh sea scallops, fresh haddock, fresh salmon, fresh calamari, frozen pre-cooked shrimp, and canned baby clams. Serve in bowls with delicious brown bread scones or soda bread.
Loaded with different types of fish, this simple chowder recipe stands or falls on the freshness of the ingredients. Delicious, filling & perfect for all seafood lovers. Sprinkle with parsley or serve with some fresh SuperValu brown soda bread. You can cook Seafood chowder and Soda bread using 20 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Seafood chowder and Soda bread
- It’s 200 g of wholemeal bread flour.
- Prepare 275 g of strong white bread flour.
- It’s 1 pinch of salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda.
- You need 1 of egg.
- Prepare 200 ml of buttermilk.
- You need 1 tsp of runny honey.
- It’s 1 of large potato.
- Prepare 250 g of haddock fillets.
- It’s 250 g of pollock or other white fish fillets.
- You need 1 of Bay leaf.
- Prepare 600 g of milk.
- You need 100 ml of single cream.
- You need 2 of onions.
- Prepare 100 g of muscles or cockles.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 150 g of sweetcorn.
- It’s 1 handful of Runner beans.
- It’s 1 handful of parsley.
- Prepare of Salt and black pepper for Seasoning.
Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with some fresh SuperValu brown soda bread. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with some crusty bread. Serve in bowls topped with some fresh parsley along with some crusty bread or oyster crackers and a nice salad. Add the heavy cream, if desired, and the parsley.
Seafood chowder and Soda bread step by step
- Preheat the oven at 180C/ 170C fan / gas 4. Measure out both types of flour, a pinch of salt and the bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle.
- Mix the butter milk, egg and honey until we'll combined..
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the well made previously in the dry ingredients. Mix the ingredients together until they form a dough. You may need to add a little water to get all the ingredients to combine, but you do not want a wet dough..
- Shape the dough into a ball and place on a baking tray. Dust the top with flour and cut a cross into the ball to about half way down..
- Place the bread in the oven and cook for 45 minutes. When done cool on a wire rack..
- While the bread bakes cover the potato with water in a saucepan and leave to boil until the potato is soft..
- Pour the milk ans cream into the saucepan add the bay leaf and the fish fillets. Bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer and leave to simmer for about 20 minutes until the fish is cooked, stiring occasionally..
- Steam the muscles and cockles in a sauspan with in about 2cm of boiling water for 3-4 minutes with the lid on. Afterwards strain the shellfish..
- Finely slice the onions and gently fry in some melted butter until soft. Then peel and crush the garlic cloves and add to the onions. Fry for a further minute..
- Then add the drained sweetcorn and chopped runner beans to the onions. Once the potato is cooked. Drain the water ans chop the potato into medium sized chunks and add to the veg. Continue to fry the veg until the runner beans are softening..
- Once the fish fillets have cooked remove for the milk and making sure any skin is removed flake the fish into small chunks..
- Remove any skin which may have formed on the milk and add the onions and veg to the milk. Simmer for a further 10 minutes..
- Add the fish and shellfish to the milk and veg. Season well with salt and pepper and add the parsley. Simmer for a further 10 minutes..
- Then serve with you're freshly made soda bread, freshly cracked black pepper and fresh paresly..
Creamy Seafood Chowder – Chunky seafood chowder with real cream, shrimp, scallops, and crab. No potatoes or fillers, just good seafood, perfect flavor. It's a great evening with family and delicious food. My husband's family is Italian so there was always pasta, Italian bread, and an antipasto platter. Try this seafood chowder from Woman's Weekly and find more soup recipes on goodtoknow.co.uk.