Mangalorean style ghee roast chicken. Chicken Ghee Roast Recipe is a mouthwatering dish which looks and tastes wonderful. In this recipe we are going to dry roast the chicken pieces in ghee. A classic Mangalorean style Ghee Roast chicken, is a traditional recipe from the kitchen of Mangalorean households.
A Mangalorean delicacy, Chicken Ghee Roast, is a classic recipe among South Indian chicken dishes. Its origins go back to a small town, Kundapur Fiery red, tangy and spicy with an unmistakable flavor of ghee roasted spices, this authentic home style chicken dish is not for the faint heart. Ghee Roast Chicken Also called Mangalorean Chicken Ghee Roast or Kundapur Chicken is an Indian roast chicken dish made with Ghee, whole spices, tamarind and jaggery. You can have Mangalorean style ghee roast chicken using 17 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mangalorean style ghee roast chicken
- You need 1 kg of Chicken.
- You need 1/2 cup of Curd.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Turmeric powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of Lemon juice.
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
- You need 1 of chopped onion.
- It’s 1 tsp of Jaggery.
- You need few of Curry leaves.
- You need 6 tsp of Ghee.
- You need 6-7 pc of Dry red chillies.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Cumin seeds.
- Prepare 7-8 of Garlic cloves.
- You need 1 inch of Ginger.
- You need 2 tsp of Coriander seeds.
- It’s pinch of Fenugreek.
- It’s 7-8 of Black peppercorns.
- Prepare 1.5 tsp of Tamarind paste.
Chicken Ghee Roast is a popular Mangalorean dish which uses spices and clarified butter to roast the chicken. The ghee roast originated in a small town called Kundapur near Mangalore. The ghee flavored fiery red, tangy and spicy dish soon became very popular and is available in restaurants. Ghee Roast Chicken Recipe, It is a very famous and delicious Mangalorian delicacy.
Mangalorean style ghee roast chicken step by step
- Dry roast red chilies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, Fenugreek seeds..
- Grind all the roasted masala to a fine powder..
- Add garlic and ginger and grind to a fine paste..
- Mix the masala with curd, turmeric powder, lemon juice and marinate the chicken with this mixture for 2 -3 hrs or overnight in refrigerator..
- In a pan, add ghee, then slightly roast chopped onion and then add the marinated chicken with the masala into it. Add salt as per taste..
- Add jaggery to it. After thickening, add the curry leaves and saute for few more minutes..
- The masala will get cooked and coat the chicken nicely, gives a beautiful red spicy colour to the dish..
- The ghee roast chicken is ready to serve with naan, roti, dosa or rice..
As the name says,chicken is roasted in Ghee. Chicken ghee roast is a very popular Mangalorean dish and is an absolute delight to eat. Pair it with Neer Dosa or Appam and it makes for an awesome meal. Chicken Ghee Roast finds its origins in the humble kitchen of Shetty lunch home – a family restaurant in Kundapur (a small coastal town that lies in the southern part of India.) What started off in a small town has made its way to the menu of most Mangalorean restaurants throughout India and abroad. Paneer ghee roast was requested by a few readers.