Brussels sprouts with caramelised garlic and lemon peel (vegan). The new vegetarian: Crunchy, spicy, lemony sprouts sure make a difference from the usual over-boiled Christmas fare. The sprouts will have softened but still retain a bite. Transfer to a mixing bowl and continue with your remaining oil and sprouts.
Because Brussels sprouts are earthy, they seek some fresh brightness to lighten things up. Lemon is a natural choice, but raw lemon can bring more acid and Similarly, by roasting whole garlic cloves with the Brussels sprouts, they caramelize and serve as surprise jewels throughout your finished dish. Tools Used to Make Lemon Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts. You can cook Brussels sprouts with caramelised garlic and lemon peel (vegan) using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Brussels sprouts with caramelised garlic and lemon peel (vegan)
- It’s 200 g of garlic (5 small or 3 large heads) cloves peeled.
- You need 120 ml of olive oil.
- You need 2 tsp of balsamic vinegar.
- It’s 3 tbsp of caster sugar.
- You need 1 of lemon.
- You need 600 g of Brussels sprouts.
- You need 1 of red chilli deseeded and finally chopped.
- It’s 20 g of basil leaves roughly chopped.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper.
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links. Stir the Brussels sprouts occasionally to prevent burning, but some caramelization is ok. I prefer my sautéed Brussels sprouts a little softer so I always cook mine for a little longer. Add the butter, chili flakes, and garlic.
Brussels sprouts with caramelised garlic and lemon peel (vegan) instructions
- Boil the garlic cloves in water for 3 minutes in a medium saucepan. After drain the garlic, dry the pan pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil and on the high heat fry the garlic cloves for 2 minutes until golden. Turn down the heat add the vinegar, 90ml water 1tbsp sugar and season with salt. Bring it to boil and after simmer for 10-15 minutes on low heat until the garlic caramelised. Set the pan aside after..
- Shaved the lemon skin with a peeler and cut them to 1-2mm stripes. Place them in a small sauce pan add the whole lemon juice, 100ml water and 2tbsp of sugar. Bring it to light simmer and cook it for 12-15 minutes until the syrup is reduced. Discard the syrup after..
- Trim the sprouts and cut them in half lengthways. Heat up a large heavy pan add 3tbsp oil and on a high heat chard well the half of the sprouts with salt and pepper for about 5 minutes. Stir them once or twice. Repeat with the other half of the sprouts. Add some more oil if needed..
- Add the chard sprouts and chilli to the garlic and its syrup. Stir it well. Set aside for 10 minutes. After add the lemon peel. Heat the dish slightly if it needed. Finally add chopped basil and give it a stir. Serve it with mashed or roast potato..
These nutty, caramelized Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with garlic, lemon and butter are one of my favorite sides ever and SO QUICK AND EASY! This Brussels Sprouts recipe make a fabulous quick-cooking side to practically any entree and the flavor combinations are endless! Try them as your side or bake them extra crispy to use as appetizer chip. In fact, roasted brussels sprouts should be on your go to list whenever you're in a pinch of time and need to do multi-dishes. Brussels Sprouts are pretty easy to find right now.