Traditional Cottage Pie.
You can have Traditional Cottage Pie using 23 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Traditional Cottage Pie
- You need of Mince.
- You need 1 of large onion, chopped.
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil, extra virgin.
- It’s 300 ml of red wine.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic, chopped.
- You need 1 tsp of mixed dried herbs.
- It’s 1 can of chopped tomatoes.
- You need 2 of medium carrots, sliced.
- Prepare 150 grams of smoked bacon, chopped.
- It’s 1 tsp of worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare of Salt.
- Prepare of Freshly ground black pepper.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato purée.
- Prepare 500 grams of mince beef.
- Prepare of Mash.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of dijon mustard.
- You need 80 grams of butter.
- You need 4 tbsp of full fat milk.
- You need 1 kg of potatoes, peeled and diced.
- You need of Water, to boil potatoes.
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt.
- It’s of Fresh ground black pepper.
- It’s of Grated cheddar cheese.
Traditional Cottage Pie instructions
- Add 2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan and heat the oil over a medium heat. Then add the bacon, fry for 2-3 minutes until bacon is cooked. Remove the bacon and set aside..
- Add the onion, garlic and carrot to the pan to the oil, cook over a medium heat until the vegetables become soft..
- Next add the mince and cook until brown..
- Add the tin tomatoes, purée, wine, mixed herbs, the cooked bacon, the Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with lid and simmer for 30-40 minutes..
- In the meantime, boil the potatoes in salted water until they are soft. About 15 minutes..
- Drain the potatoes well and then mash. Add the mustard, milk and butter. Season with pepper and if needed more salt. (You may add another tbsp of mustard, if you prefer the taste a little stronger)..
- When ready, spoon the mince mixture into a casserole dish. Top with the mash and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese..
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 c / Gas mark 5..
- Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes or until the mash has become golden brown..
- Let it rest for 15 minutes prior to serving..