Truly Delicious! New Year's Osechi – Chicken with Vegetables.
You can have Truly Delicious! New Year's Osechi – Chicken with Vegetables using 18 ingredients and 18 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Truly Delicious! New Year's Osechi – Chicken with Vegetables
- Prepare 150 grams of Chicken thigh meat.
- You need 1/2 tsp of each A – Sake, vinegar, soy sauce.
- Prepare 2 of blocks Koya-dofu (freeze-dried tofu).
- Prepare 4 of Dried shiitake mushrooms.
- It’s 200 grams of Lotus root.
- Prepare 1/2 of Burdock root.
- Prepare 1 block of Konnyaku (black).
- Prepare 150 grams of Carrot (thick part).
- You need 130 grams of Canned bamboo shoots.
- It’s 8 of Snow Peas.
- You need 8 of Ginkgo nuts (canned).
- You need 200 ml of B – Liquid from reconstituting dried shiitake mushrooms.
- You need 400 ml of B – Dashi broth.
- It’s 2 tbsp of B – Sugar.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of B – Sake.
- You need 2 tbsp of C – Mirin.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of C – Usukuchi soy sauce.
- It’s 1 tbsp of each Vegetable oil, sesame oil.
Truly Delicious! New Year's Osechi – Chicken with Vegetables step by step
- Do this step the day before. Reconstitute the dried shiitake mushrooms in 300 ml water. Place in the refrigerator. Save the liquid to use later on..
- Prepare the osechi dish. This picture shows the cut vegetables for reference. Proceed to Step 3..
- Chop the chicken into bize-sized pieces. Season with the "A" ingredients..
- Prepare the koya-dofu according to the directions on the package. Drain. Cut each block into 6 pieces..
- Remove the stems of the reconstituted shiitake mushrooms, and halve each cap using a wide diagonal cut..
- Slice the lotus root into 8 mm slices. Soak in water with a little vinegar added. Sculpt the lotus root into a flower shape by rounding the edges above the holes. Cut slits between the holes as a guide..
- Use the back of a knife to scrape off the tough parts of the burdock root. Cut on a slant into 5 mm slices and soak in water..
- After cutting the konnyaku block into 8 mm pieces, cut a small slit in each piece and slip the ends through the hole to twist into a "reign knot" as pictured. Boil gently and drain..
- Slice the carrot into 1 cm rounds and use a plum-shaped metal cutter to form flowers. Make a short slit between the petals and start in the middle of the petal cutting downward diagonally until the cut meets the slit..
- Slice the bamboo shoots into 5 cm long and 8 mm thick semi-circles..
- Remove the tough string that runs the length of the snow pea pod and parboil in salted (not listed in measured ingredients) water. Cut the top into a "V" shape..
- Heat the oils (vegetable and sesame) in a pan, brown the chicken on both sides, and set aside. Reserve the liquid the chicken marinated in to use later on..
- In the same pan, add the drained shiitake, lotus root, burdock, konnyaku and bamboo shoots and stir fry..
- Add the "B" ingredients and cover with a drop down lid. When steamed, add the "C" ingredients and marinating liquid from Step 12..
- Add carrots and koya-dofu while cooking on medium until the vegetables are tender..
- Return the chicken to the pan and cook on medium to high heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has been absorbed..
- Arrange on a plate and garnish with snow peas and gingko nuts..
- I recommend this dish for Sports Day, too. You can make it the day before, so it's really easy. I cut the lotus roots in half so they're easy to eat..