Chicken Char Siu. Warning: This Char Siu Chicken is highly addictive! You'll wonder how you ever grilled chicken thighs without this mix of honey, hoisin, garlic, soy sauce, and Chinese five-spice powder. Char siu chicken, made with with brown sugar, sriracha, and Chinese five-spice, makes this dish a surefire crowd-pleaser.
Adapting Our Char Siu Pork Recipe for Chicken. Char siu happens to be one of my favorite things in the world. I was raised on the stuff. You can have Chicken Char Siu using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken Char Siu
- Prepare 1 kg of Chicken thigh fillet / breast.
- You need of Marinade.
- Prepare 3-4 tbsp of maltose/honey.
- You need 3 cubes of red fermented tofu.
- You need 3 tbsp of the red fermented tofu liquid.
- You need 3 tbsp of housin sauce.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic (roughly chopped).
- You need 3 tbsp of roughly chopped ginger.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of chinese rice cooking wine.
- Prepare 3 tsp of chinese five spices.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt (or to taste).
- You need of Red food colouring (optional).
- You need of Glaze.
- You need 3 tbsp of honey.
- Prepare of Left over marinade.
I remember taking it to preschool for lunch. Build a medium-heat fire in a charcoal. How To Make Char Siu Chicken. In a large bowl, stir together the garlic, five-spice powder, honey, hoisin, soy sauce, ketchup, and sesame oil.
Chicken Char Siu instructions
- Marination – Clean chicken. Combine ingredients for marination in a big bowl. Stir to mix. Use this to Marinate chicken fillets for 24hours. Refrigerate..
- For the glaze – Remove chicken from the marinate & let sit for an hour in room temperature. Add the marinate to a small pot & remove the garlic & ginger. Add honey & mix well. Cook on low heat for 5mins or until the sauce start to boil. Set aside for glazing..
- Set up chicken on the tray that comes with a roasting rack. Preheat oven to 400 F /200 C..
- Bake chicken for 20mins. Flip. Bake for another 20mins. For the next 20mins, flip & glaze chicken every 3-5mins until all the glaze is brushed on. Char siu gets charred lightly..
- Once done, let it rest for 10-15mins. Slice & serve or Refrigerate for other uses like bao / buns filling, siu pau etc..
Remove about half the marinade and set aside for glazing. Who says that char siu is limited to pork? Try this chicken variation and you'll be convinced otherwise. In a bowl, combine the sesame oil, sugar, soy sauces, and cooking wine. Prepare the char siu chicken: Pat the chicken thighs with paper towels to remove excess moisture, then trim and discard any big fat pads.