Japanese Spinach Salad with Sesame Dressing (Horenso Gomaae). Blanched spinach dressed in a savory nutty sesame sauce, this Japanese Spinach Salad with Sesame Dressing (Spinach Gomaae) is a healthy veggie side dish that goes well with everything. Spinach or green beans are often dressed in sesame sauce in Japanese cuisine. Japanese spinach salad with sesame dressing or horenso gomaae is a quick and easy Japanese side dish.
Surprisingly, this dish is quite easy to make. After boiling the spinach and cutting it into portions, the spinach is added to a delicious dressing made from crushed toasted sesame seeds, mirin, sake and. Sesame salad dressing is very popular in Japan and is sometimes known as goma dressing (goma means sesame in Japanese). You can cook Japanese Spinach Salad with Sesame Dressing (Horenso Gomaae) using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Japanese Spinach Salad with Sesame Dressing (Horenso Gomaae)
- You need 1 bag of spinach.
- You need 1 pinch of salt.
- Prepare of Sesame sauce.
- It’s 3 tbsp of roasted sesame seeds.
- It’s 1 tbsp of soys auce.
- It’s 1 tsp of brown sugar.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of sake (optional).
- It’s 1/2 tsp of mirin.
Sesame seeds have a nutty, slightly sweet taste and contribute a wonderful flavor to this simple salad dressing, calling for ingredients you probably already have in. Toast the sesame seeds in a small pan over low heat. Make sure you continually move the pan so the seeds don't burn. Heat sesame seeds in a small skillet over medium-high heat, stirring or shaking pan constantly, until seeds are light brown and first popping sound Combine spinach and dressing in a medium bowl and toss lightly until thoroughly mixed.
Japanese Spinach Salad with Sesame Dressing (Horenso Gomaae) instructions
- Toast your sesame seed for a few minutes in the pan. Then take them of leave them to cook down..
- Grind half of the toasted sesame seeds with a mortar and pestle. Leave some sesame seeds unground for some texture and garnish..
- Add soysauce, mirin, sugar sake and grounded sesame together. Leave it aside..
- Put lightly salted water in a large pot and bring to boil. Once boiling, add the spinach in and cook for 30-45 seconds. Remove the spinach from the water and soak in iced water to stop cooking then squeeze water out..
- Add the sesame sauce and toss all together. Serve at room temperature or chilled. This is perfect as a side dish and goes well with rice and omelette roll or Tamagoyaki..
This is a spinach salad with a flavorful sesame sauce (hourensou no goma-ae) that is very similar to our Green Beans with Sesame Sauce, and is a great little side dish. It is super quick to make, but very nutritious and tasty. It's best to make your own ground sesame using Suribachi (mortar) and Surikogi. This simple Japanese side dish recipe is usually made with fresh mature spinach, but you have to buy so many bunches in order to get a substantial yield—that's where the frozen stuff comes in handy. Just make sure to buy whole-leaf frozen spinach instead of chopped.