You can have Son-in-Law Eggs using 6 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Son-in-Law Eggs
- You need 3-4 of shallots, peeled and sliced thinly lengthwise.
- You need 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, plus more for deep frying.
- Prepare 4 of eggs, 8-10min boiled and peeled (duck eggs for rich yolk).
- It’s 1/2-3/4 cup of palm sugar, packed or ¼ cup brown sugar.
- You need 1/4 cup of Thai fish sauce.
- Prepare 2-3 tablespoons of tamarind (you can buy it in the tub from Asian shop).
Son-in-Law Eggs instructions
- Add the sliced shallots and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil to a small pan on low heat. Stirring constantly, cook the shallots until they are golden brown and crispy. With a slotted spoon, transfer the fried shallots to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside..
- Add enough oil to a medium pan or wok. Place the wok on medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, gently drop the boiled eggs into it. Stir the eggs around to ensure even browning. Once the surface are thoroughly browned, sift them out with a slotted spoon, slice them in half, and arrange the halved eggs on a serving platter..
- Discard the oil in the same pan, add the palm sugar, fish sauce, tamarind, and water to it; bring the mixture to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Once the sugar has fully dissolved, check for consistency. The sauce should have the consistency of maple syrup. Once you have the right consistency, remove the pan from heat and pour the sauce over the prepared eggs..
- Sprinkle the fried shallots over the top of the eggs. Garnish with red chilies and coriander leaves. Serve son-in-law eggs with steamed jasmine rice..