Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza. Chicago-style pizza is pizza prepared according to several different styles developed in Chicago. The most famous is the deep-dish pizza. Learn how to make a Chicago Deep Dish Pizza!
Every little detail about this pizza is special. First, this pizza clearly doesn't look like a pizza you are used to. It's baked in a deep dish cake pan. You can have Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza using 22 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza
- You need of *** Dough – First Step ***.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dry yeast.
- You need 1/2 cup of water.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of rye or whole wheat flour.
- You need 1/4 cup of all-purpose or bread flour.
- You need of *** Dough – Second Step ***.
- Prepare 1 cup of all-purpose or bread flour (125g).
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 4 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare of *** Sauce ***.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1 of medium onion, minced.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 can of tomatoes.
- You need 2 tsp of Italian seasoning.
- You need 2 Tbsp of fresh parsley, chopped (optional).
- You need of *** Toppings ***.
- You need 1/2 of green bell pepper.
- It’s 4 of mushrooms.
- It’s 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- It’s 1 of small chicken breast (4-5 oz).
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of grated Parmesan (if you have it).
The cheese goes directly on top of the crust and the sauce is piled on top. Using your hands, spread out about three-quarters of the dough across the bottom and up the sides of the pan (save the. Deep dish is the Chicago-style pizza that gets the majority of the attention but this famous local chain specializes in an even bigger variant: Stuffed pies. Similar to deep dish, the crust is loaded with mozzarella and toppings.
Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza instructions
- Dough stage 1: In a large bowl, mix 1/4 cup rye or whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup all-purpose or bread flour, 1 tsp active dry yeast and 1/2 cup water. Let it sit for 30 minutes at room temperature until frothy..
- Dough stage 2: After the mixture is frothy, add 1 more cup all-purpose or bread flour, 1 tsp salt and 4 Tbsp olive oil. Mix until the dough comes together..
- Remove dough to a floured working surface and knead with the palm of your hand until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Sprinkle more flour as needed in your hands or the surface if it's sticking..
- Form into a smooth ball and return to the bowl..
- Cover with plastic wrap or a moist tea towel and let rise in a warm place for 1:30 to 2 hours, until about doubled in size..
- While the dough is rising, prepare the sauce. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a sauce pan and sauté the onions and garlic until translucent..
- Add the can of tomatoes, dried herbs, and 1/4 cup water. Break up any big chunks tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook on medium low heat until the sauce is very thick, about 30 minutes or so. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in fresh parsley if using. Set aside and let cool until ready to use..
- When the dough has risen, remove it from the bowl into a floured surface and push out the air. Form into a flat round ball. Preheat oven to 425F/220C..
- Roll out the dough to a 10-12 inch circle..
- Grease the 8 x 2 in baking pan lightly with oil. Lay the dough across and press it to the bottom and up the sides. Spread out the shredded cheese across the bottom. The sides might fall over at first but don't worry because you'll be add plenty of fillings!.
- Next layer in the chopped bell pepper, mushrooms and chicken..
- Top it with the tomato sauce until the sauce reaches the top of the sides of the dough. (You might have a little left over). Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese..
- Bake in the oven at 425F/220C for 35-40 minutes or until the crust starts to brown and the extra liquid from the sauce has evaporated. After 15 minutes, cover the pizza Lighty with foil so the crust doest brown too quickly. Remove after another 15 min. and let the pizza finish baking uncovered..
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Dig in and enjoy!!.
An additional layer of dough above the cheese and below the tomato sauce. Deep-dish pizza has a long history in the city of Chicago, where it's revered as a delicious native invention. The crust, based on a recipe whose supposed provenance is Chicago's Pizzeria Uno, has an unusual flaky/tender texture, and great taste — courtesy of three types of fat: vegetable oil, olive oil. Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza Recipe. Here's a Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza recipe you can make at home.