Homemade Chicken and Egg Noodles.
You can cook Homemade Chicken and Egg Noodles using 11 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Homemade Chicken and Egg Noodles
- Prepare 125 g of Flour (1 U.S. cup).
- You need 4 of Egg yolks (or 1.5 to 2 whole eggs).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- You need 2 Tbsp of Cold water.
- It’s 250-300 g of Chicken, thigh is nice (1/2 to 3/4 lb).
- You need 1/4 of Onion.
- It’s 1 stalk of Celery.
- You need 1 of large carrot.
- It’s of Optional:.
- Prepare 1 of Bay leaf.
- It’s 1 tsp of dry thyme or a few fresh sprigs.
Homemade Chicken and Egg Noodles step by step
- First, let's make the noodles! Using just egg yolks gives the riches egg noodle, but as mentioned in the description, you can use 1.5-2 whole eggs instead..
- Separate the whites from the yolk by carefully cracking the egg and letting the white fall into a bowl (make sure the yolk doesn't fall in!). *Egg whites can be kept in the fridge for 2 days or freeze well too..
- In a bowl, mix the flour, egg yolks and salt..
- It will be a little dry and crumbly, but once the dough starts to hold together, add about 2 Tbsp of water to get the dough just moist enough to knead..
- Form the dough into a ball and remove to a floured working surface..
- Knead with the palm of your hand for a few minutes until you get a smooth ball of dough. If it sticks to your hands or the surface, sprinkle more flour..
- Once the ball of dough is nice and smooth, roll it out as thin as possible. Again, sprinkle with a plenty of flour to prevent sticking..
- Roll the sheet of dough up like rolling a poster. Slice the dough roll to make the noodles. It can be as thick or thin as you like. Unravel the noodles and cut into smaller size. Dust with flour and let them sit out to dry out..
- While the noodles are drying, prepare the soup. I used chicken thigh because it stays tender even if boiled, but you can use breast meat..
- Slice the carrots and celery. Dice the onion. Leave the chicken whole..
- Add all ingredients except the noodles to a pot and cover with water (I added about 800-900 ml / about 3.5 cups). If using bay leaf and thyme, you can add it here..
- Bring to a boil on high, then reduce to a low simmer. Skim off any of the foam that arises from boiling the chicken. Let simmer on low for 45-60 min..
- Remove the chicken from the soup. Pull apart the meat with two forks or with your fingers..
- Return chicken to the pot and add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and add the noodles. Stir, turn to low heat and cook covered for another 20-30 minutes until noodles are soft..
- Adjust taste with salt and pepper. Serve into bowls as is, or if you *really* want to eat it country style, spoon it over mashed potatoes for a carbohydrate fest (lol). Great the next day too!.