Almost Spanish Chicken.
You can cook Almost Spanish Chicken using 19 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Almost Spanish Chicken
- You need 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s of Salt and black pepper.
- Prepare 8 of chicken thighs.
- You need 2 of onions, sliced.
- It’s 2 of peppers (red or 1 red & 1 green), deseeded and sliced.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of leek, sliced.
- It’s 50 g of sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and wiped dry.
- It’s 100 g of Serrano ham, torn into 2 cm pieces or several slices chorizo.
- You need 225 g of brown basmati or long-grain rice.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 1 tsp of smoked paprika.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried thyme.
- Prepare 1 tsp of zatar.
- You need 1 of bird’s eye chili, finely chopped.
- It’s 250 ml of chicken or vegetable stock.
- You need 250 ml of dry white wine.
- Prepare 50 g of black or green olives, pitted.
- It’s 1 of small orange, in segments.
Almost Spanish Chicken step by step
- Pre-heat your oven to Gas Mark 4 or your electric equivalent. This is 160C on my Neff Circotherm but is more like 180C for other ovens..
- Season the chicken thighs well..
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large casserole and brown the chicken thighs all over, in small batches not all at once. Set aside..
- Use a very little wine to deglaze the bottom of the casserole, add the third tbsp of oil. When hot, add the onions, gently fry for 3 minutes, then add the peppers, garlic, chili and leek and fry for a further 3 minutes or until just turning brown, stirring occasionally..
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and Serrano ham/chorizo and stir gently but thoroughly..
- Stir in the rice. Once it’s coated, add the tomato purée, smoked paprika, thyme and zatar..
- Add the stock and wine and stir thoroughly. Bring to a fast simmer..
- Reduce to a gentle simmer and carefully place the chicken thighs on top without disturbing the rice. Similarly place the orange segments and olives..
- Put on a tight-fitting lid and transfer to the pre-heated oven. Cook for around 1 hour. The rice should be cooked but still with a little “bite”..
- Serve piping hot onto warmed plates..