Chicken in walnut pomegranate gravy(fesenjan). This Chicken Stew with Walnut and Pomegranate Sauce recipe is a classic preparation in Persian cooking, going by the name "Fesenjan". Chicken pieces are first browned and then slowly cooked in a sauce with ground toasted walnuts and pomegranate molasses. You might not normally think to.
Season generously with salt and pepper. Peel and finely chop the onion; set aside ¼ cup [½ cup] for garnish. Tender chicken is cooked in a walnut pomegranate sauce and served over steamed saffron rice. You can have Chicken in walnut pomegranate gravy(fesenjan) using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chicken in walnut pomegranate gravy(fesenjan)
- Prepare 800 grams of boneless chicken breast cut to 2.5 cm cubes.
- It’s 400 grams of raw walnuts, grinded.
- Prepare 1 of onion, finely chopped.
- It’s Half of teaspoon turmeric powder.
- You need Pinch of saffron.
- You need of Black pepper, optional.
- It’s 6-8 tablespoons of pomegranate paste(depends how tick it is).
- Prepare of Salt.
- You need of Cooking oil.
Fall is the pomegranate season, and I feel it is the perfect time to share my Fesenjan, or Fesenjoon recipe (chicken stew with walnut and pomegranate sauce). Known in Iran as Fesenjan, this Pomegranate Chicken with Walnut dish is considered a special occasion dish and is supposed to be thick and rich, with a sweet and sour flavor. Sometimes made with pomegranate molasses, or this case, pomegranate juice, the gravy relies on ground walnuts for its. Fesenjan is a delicious Persian chicken stew flavored with walnuts and pomegranate.
Chicken in walnut pomegranate gravy(fesenjan) step by step
- Heat some oil in the pot. Saute onions until they change the colour. Add turmeric and chicken and salt and pepper. Saute until chicken no more pink..
- Add grinded walnuts and saute for couple of minutes. Now add enough ice water. Cover the pot and let the chicken half cooked slowly with medium low flame..
- Now add pomegranate paste and continue for another 2 hours or until stew is rich and dark in colour and oil from walnuts come out..
- Serve Fesenjan with steamed white rice..
It's a comforting dish for a cold day and perfect to make ahead Khoresh-e Fesenjān, or fesenjan for short (sometimes spelled fesenjoon), is a stew (khoresh) from Iran. It is believed to originate from the Gilan. Fesenjan is a simple slow cooked Iranian stew featuring walnuts, pomegranate molasses, onions and chicken thighs that packs a huge punch of flavour. Fesenjan is a rich and unusual stew from Iran. Containing both walnuts and pomegranate molasses and honestly not much else it makes for an.