Potatoe and Squash Casserole.
You can have Potatoe and Squash Casserole using 11 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Potatoe and Squash Casserole
- Prepare 2 large of Russet Potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch.
- It’s 2 medium of Zuchinii, sliced 1/4 inch.
- Prepare 1 large of Yellow Squash, sliced 1/4 inch.
- You need 1 small of Onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 cup of Milk.
- You need 2 tbsp of Cornstarch.
- It’s 1 cup of Breadcrumbs.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Italian Seasoning.
- Prepare 1 of Salt and Pepper.
- You need 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of Cheese.
Potatoe and Squash Casserole step by step
- Slice the vegetables and potatoes. Place each in their own bowl or plate. Set aside..
- *Tip* Slice the potato later, while sauce is simmering, to prevent possible browning..
- Chop the onion and place in dry pan. Turn heat to med-low and cook a few minutes. Stir. Add a little bit of water, a tablespoon at a time, to prevent burning. Cook until onion is medium brown. Remove onions from pan and place in a bowl or plate..
- Add milk to pan scraping up onion bits left in pan. Heat to boil then simmer..
- Create a slurry placing cornstarch in a cup with a tablespoon of water. Stir till cornstarch is dissolved..
- Add slurry to milk and stir. Add salt and pepper and a shake or two of italian seasoning and stir. Simmer milk for another 5 min. Add onions to milk and stir. Heat for a few minutes then turn off heat..
- Prepare your casserole dish (spray pam, oil or butter it) and start layering..
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- You can layer any way you want. What I did is I started with rows of potatoes overlapping each other till the casserole dish was filled. Topped it with rows or a layer of zucchini and then a layer of yellow squash..
- At this step you can put half of the onion-milk mixture over the vegetables and then continue doing another layer of potatoes, zucchini and squash..
- Top with the last of the onion-milk mixture. Cover it with foil and bake for 35 min at 350°..
- While it's cooking prepare the breadcrumb topping. Put your breadcrumbs and italian seasoning in a bowl, top with oil and stir. If using fresh breadcrumbs, get 2 slices of bread and squish it and roll it in your hands until it forms a ball and throw it in your blender. Blend for a few seconds until you get breadcrumb consistency..
- Remove pan from oven, remove foil and sprinkle breadcrumbs over the casserole and then sprinkle your cheese over the breadcrumbs. Add more or less breadcrumbs as needed..
- Place. uncovered casserole back in oven and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes..
- *Tips* Instead of cornstarch you can make a roux using 2 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp butter. Put this in the pan before the milk. Stirring and cooking the flour till it changes color then add the milk..
- You can also use any vegetables you have on hand. This recipe is very versatile..