Squash and red lentil soup – vegan. I thought this soup was going to be a completely ho-hum recipe, especially with such minimal ingredients, but I was pleasantly surprised because it was delicious! I was looking to recreate a red lentil soup I tried recently and had no idea where to begin but this recipe seemed to have the flavors I was looking for. This soup is full of protein and even more flavors – lentils, squash and spices come together to create a fantastic and filling soup!
A thick, warming vegan lentil soup made with just three ingredients plus stock and seasoning. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a heavy-based frying pan. This vegan, nutrient-packed Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup recipe is easy, delicious, and packed with fiber, protein, and vitamins. You can cook Squash and red lentil soup – vegan using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Squash and red lentil soup – vegan
- It’s 250 g of (about 1 cup filled to the top) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-3cm pieces.
- It’s 1 tbsp of olive oil to roast the squash in.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of olive oil to sauté the onion with.
- You need 1 of onion, peeled and finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground cumin.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 1/2 cup of red lentils, rinsed and drained.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice.
- Prepare of salt and pepper.
- It’s of to sprinkle on top.
- It’s of Za’atar.
- Prepare of Some ground cayenne or chilli flakes.
- Prepare of Some parsley leaves if you have some.
This vegan lentil soup is a blended Middle Eastern style lentil soup, made with red lentils and blended for a super creamy and delicious soup! This vegan lentil soup is simply amazing! It has a wonderfully rich flavor and is so creamy you'll swear it must actually have cream in it, but nope. Here's what you'll need to make this creamy and delicious soup This hearty red lentil soup with butternut squash is vegan, packed with fibre, high in plant-based protein and low in fat.
Squash and red lentil soup – vegan step by step
- Preheat oven to 200C. Put the squash in a bowl and mix with the oil. Put onto a lined baking tray and roast for about 25mins – til the squash is tender..
- Heat the oil in a pan (with a lid for later) on a medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 10-15mins til soft..
- Add the garlic and sauté for another couple of mins. Add the cumin and the cinnamon..
- Add the lentils and 500ml of the stock. Cover and simmer for 10mins..
- Add the squash, lemon juice and the rest of the stock. Season. Cover and simmer for another 10mins..
- This is one soup that does work better blended. So either put it in a blender or use a hand blender to make the soup smooth..
- Serve with a generous sprinkle of za’atar and the cayenne or chilli. Enjoy 😋.
It's also gluten-free, oil-free, sugar-free and whole food plant-based. It's full of flavor from ginger, garlic, and spices, with a This Vegan Red Lentil Soup is easy to make, too! Most of the work is front-loaded, and then you're just letting things simmer until the lentils are soft. There's something so comforting about winter and soup. The butternut squash adds a nutty sweetness, the carrot adds that depth of root flavour, and the red lentil adds some texture with a punch of protein in the broth of onions and garlic.