Best chicken and chickpea curry. This Chicken Chickpea Curry recipe was the result of a bit of a challenge that I set for myself. Normally my favourite curries take a while to simmer so the quick requirement was my biggest I buy whole chicken breasts for a very good reason. Deboned chicken breasts for Oven Fried Chicken.
Try one of our best chickpea curries for a filling, vegetarian main. We've also included chicken, pork and fish with plenty of healthy and easy options. This Southern Indian chickpea curry, created by reader Jon Gregg, is a vegan recipe that's three of your five-a-day. You can cook Best chicken and chickpea curry using 17 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Best chicken and chickpea curry
- It’s 3 of large chicken breasts, cut into large chunks.
- You need 2 tbsp of thick yoghurt – we use Fage 5% greek.
- Prepare 2 of heaped tsp cumin.
- Prepare 1 of heaped tsp garam masala.
- You need 1 tsp of turmeric.
- Prepare Half of tsp mild chilli powder.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of olive or coconut oil.
- It’s 2 of medium onions, finely chopped.
- It’s 2 of garlic cloves,finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 inch of piece of root ginger (or use a heaped tsp frozen ginger), finely chopped or grated.
- It’s 2 of extra tsp cumin and turmeric.
- Prepare 8-10 of new potatoes, skins on, pre-cooked – we were using some leftovers!.
- Prepare 400 g of tin coconut milk (you could use light but we prefer regular full-fat!).
- It’s 210 g of tin chickpeas.
- It’s 150 g of fresh spinach.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato puree.
- It’s of Salt and pepper.
If you're big on meat, then this. EASY coconut curry with chickpeas and Indian spices. Naturally vegan + gluten-free; add vegetables like cauliflower or sweet potato. A classic easy coconut curry with chickpeas, inspired by Indian flavors.
Best chicken and chickpea curry instructions
- Add the spices (cumin, garam masala, turmeric and chilli powder) to a bowl with 1 tbsp of oil and mix. Add 2 tbsp of greek yoghurt and stir well. Add the chicken to the bowl and coat with the spice mixture. Cover and put in the fridge and marinade for as long as you can – we often forget to do it overnight but this produces the best results. If not, marinade as soon as you remember, even for an hour before cooking..
- To start cooking, heat the 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan or wok. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry for 5 minutes until softened. Add 1 tsp of extra cumin and turmeric and stir for a minte or so..
- In a bowl, add the remaining cumin and garam masala to 1 tbsp of oil and mix. Tip in the cooked potatoes and stir well until coated..
- In a smaller non-stick pan, fry the potatoes until they are crispy and golden – this should take about 10 to 15 minutes..
- Whilst your potatoes are frying, add the marinating chicken chunks with their sauce to the cooked onion mixture in your large pan. Turn up the heat so that the mixture starts to bubble, then reduce the heat to low/medium. Add half a tin of coconut milk and cook for approx 15 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken and the chicken is cooked. If the sauce starts to thicken too much, add more coconut milk, a little at a time..
- Add 1 tbsp of tomato puree and a small tin of drained chickpeas. Stir well, adding the fresh spinach and stir again. Cover and cook for 5 minutes..
- Now add the crispy potatoes and cook for a final 5 minutes.
- Season well with salt and pepper and serve with basmati brown rice or poppodums and naan if you prefer. You can also serve the potatoes separately as I did for my children as they love the crispiness!!.
This garbanzo bean curry skips the complicated steps but doesn't skimp on. We've put together our best Tried & Tested chicken curry recipes for a delicious feast. Making your own curry is so much cheaper than ordering one from your local restaurant, not to mention healthier, so try making one of ours this week instead! This easy, week-night chicken dinner standouts thanks to spicy cayenne, tasty curry, and sweet (but light!) coconut milk. Spicy cayenne, tasty curry, and sweet (but light!) coconut milk makes this chicken dinner recipe a standout.