Vietnamese beef stew (Bo Kho).
You can have Vietnamese beef stew (Bo Kho) using 17 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vietnamese beef stew (Bo Kho)
- It’s 500 g of beef cubes (preferably the one with some marbling).
- You need 2 tsp of tsp sugar.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of chicken stock powder (can be skipped).
- It’s 1 tsp of five spice.
- You need 1 tbsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of grated ginger.
- It’s 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 2-3 stalk of lemongrass (smashed and cut into 2-3 pieces).
- You need 2-3 of star anise.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder (or 1 stick).
- You need 2 tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s 170 ml of (1/2 a can) coconut water.
- It’s 3-4 of carrots (cut to chunks).
- You need 2 cups of water/beef stock.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of pepper (or to your liking).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of oyster sauce (optional).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of oil.
Vietnamese beef stew (Bo Kho) instructions
- Marinate beef with sugar, ginger, (half portion of the garlic), soy sauce, 5 spice, pepper, and chicken powder. Marinate for at least 20 mins (longer is better)..
- Heat the oil on the wok or frying pan. Stir in star anise, lemongrass, the remaining portion of garlic, and cinnamon stick/powder until aromatic..
- Stir in beef cubes and brown the beef..
- Transfer the beef to pressure cooker or casserole pan (or any sauce pan that has thick bottom). Add in tomato paste, coconut water and beef stock..
- If using pressure cooker, cook for 20 mins. If using normal stove, bring the stock to boil, cover and reduced to low-medium heat, cook until meat is tender (maybe 40-60 mins)..
- Stir in the carrots, cook until carrots are tender. Taste and adjust the flavour. Add oyster sauce for a richer taste (this step is optional). Turn off the heat, the beef stew is now ready to serve!.