Katsu Chicken Curry. Katsu Curry (カツカレー) is a combination of Japanese Curry and a panko-breaded cutlet. Not a big fan of pork or chicken? You can also enjoy Katsu Curry with shrimp or fish (See below).
Katsu curry is just a variation of Japanese curry with a chicken cutlet on top. I have used a store-bought block of Japanese curry roux which is commonly used in Japanese households. Chicken Katsu Curry is an absolute favourite – traditionally hailing from Japan, this dish compromises of panko breadcrumb coated chicken in a thick curry sauce and rice. You can have Katsu Chicken Curry using 13 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Katsu Chicken Curry
- It’s 2 of chicken breasts.
- It’s 3 tbsp of plain flour.
- It’s 1 of beaten egg.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of panko or golden breadcrumbs (or crushed puffed rice!).
- You need of For the sauce:.
- It’s 1 of onion, sliced.
- Prepare 1 of medium carrot, grated.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic,crushed.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of plain flour.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of curry powder (medium works best).
- It’s 1 1/2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Prepare 500 ml of chicken stock1 tsp.
- It’s of black pepper.
With the likes of Gizzi Erskine sharing their take on the famous Wagamama katsu chicken curry recipe, it's really taken off over the. This Japanese chicken katsu curry is an easy low-cost meal. You can prepare the sauce in advance, and quickly fry the strips of chicken just before serving. This is my version of the delicious Japanese katsu curry that they serve at Wagamama.
Katsu Chicken Curry instructions
- Place the chicken between two pieces of cling film & bash with a rolling pin until they are even thickness. Put the flour, egg & breadcrumbs into shallow dishes or plates. Dip each chicken breast first into the flour, then the egg & finally the breadcrumbs making sure they are evenly coated. Place on to a plate or tray, cover with cling film & put in the fridge for 15 minutes..
- To make the sauce heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the onion & carrot for 2 minutes then add the garlic. Cook until soft then stir in the flour & curry powder. Keep stirring for about 3 minutes to cook out the flour. Gradually add the stock stirring well to keep it smooth. Pour in the soy sauce & season with pepper. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes then set aside & keep warm while you cook the chicken..
- Carefully add the coated chicken & cook for about 5 minutes until golden then turn it over & cook for another 5 minutes. Set aside on a chopping board to rest for a minute. Slice the chicken into strips..
- Serve the chicken with rice with the sauce on top, on the side over the rice or however you like!.
With cooking tips, tricks and foolproof recipes, this fabulous cookbook from Gizzi Erskine will bring a bit of magic to your kitchen. Katsu Chicken Curry is one of the most popular dishes at Wagamama and our slimming friendly version is perfect if you're counting calories or following a plan like Weight Watchers. This chicken katsu curry recipe is incredible. If you always order the katsu curry when you eat out in Japanese restaurants, you'll be surprised to learn how easy it is to make at home. Another must when making chicken katsu curry is to ensure the sauce is super smooth.