Kuku paka – African chicken curry. This east African dish is one of the easiest "curries" you could ever make. Kuku is the Swahili word for chicken, and paka is the Bengali word for delicious. Kuku Paka – Curry of East African Origin.
The word 'kuku' means 'chicken' in Swahili and many believe that 'paka' refers to a dish made with coconut milk. However, 'paka' is also the Punjabi word for 'delicious.' Kuku Paka Variations. For authentic flavor, grill the chicken pieces before stirring them into the simmering sauce. You can have Kuku paka – African chicken curry using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Kuku paka – African chicken curry
- It’s 600 g of chicken tight.
- You need 2 tbsp of minced ginger.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of minced garlic.
- It’s 1 tsp of chilli powder or paprika.
- You need 2-3 of big green chilli.
- It’s 1 tin of coconut milk.
- You need Tin of sweet corn (I got mix peas and sweet corn so I use that).
- Prepare 1 of lemon.
- You need 1 tsp of turmeric.
- It’s of Some salt.
- Prepare 1 handful of green beans.
- Prepare 1 of red chilli (finely chopped) for garnish.
- You need 1 handful of coriander.
- You need 1-2 tbsp of vegetable cooking oil.
If you like, you can also use Some recipes add potatoes or hard-boiled eggs to the curry. The potatoes can be cooked ahead, cut into chunks and stirred into the curry toward the end. Kuku Paka is a chicken dish with a coconut-based curry and is also called "kuku na nazi". It has Arabic, Indian and African influences.
Kuku paka – African chicken curry step by step
- Prep your ingredients, if you use chicken tight with bone I would leave the bone in and take chicken skin out..
- Marinate your chicken with garlic, ginger, green chilli, a pinch of salt and turmeric. Leave it for 15-20 min..
- On a griddle pan, high heat, spray some vegetable oil and place chicken on the griddle pan leave them cook about 3-5 min on each side or until chicken nice and golden brown on both side..
- On a saucepan, medium heat, add coconut milk in and wait until coconut milk start boiling, add the rest of curry paste from marinate your chicken and you can add some water on the griddle pan to get those lovely sauce out and pour it in the saucepan too. Add chicken and green beans then sweet corn..
- Add some lemon juice, seasoning with salt and add some coriander. Stir well and turn off the heat.
- Put some finely sliced red chilli on top before serve.
The dish is particularly popular in the East African coast and among the Indian communities living in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. This rich and comforting East African coconut chicken curry recipe is a real home-cooked favourite and is given added texture with the addition of hard boiled eggs. This dish is so simple and sometimes referred to as kuku na nazi. This kuku paka recipe is a favourite amongst the family. It originates from the East African Coast with influence from the Indian cuisine.