Red lentil dal (vegan if you sub the ghee 😁). The BEST Red Lentil Dahl (dhal, dal, daal)! Do I use dried red lentils? No need to pre-cook them (just give them a rinse), they'll cook in the curry.
Making dal in an Instant Pot is a no-brainer because although a dal is by no means a difficult or time-consuming dish to make, an Instant Pot just makes the whole process so much easier. Transform your red lentils into something amazing with my creamy Instant Pot Lentil Dal. It makes a really easy, super tasty, healthy & budget But, if you don't have an Instant Pot or other other electric pressure cooker, and you really want to make this recipe, hop on over to my original Red Lentil Dahl. You can have Red lentil dal (vegan if you sub the ghee 😁) using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Red lentil dal (vegan if you sub the ghee 😁)
- You need 1/2 cup of (full not just to the ‘fill’ line) red lentils (about 125g).
- You need 400 ml of / 1 1/2 cups water.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground turmeric.
- You need 1/2 tsp of chilli powder or chilli flakes.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground cumin.
- Prepare 2 of medium-sized tomatoes, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of onion, peeled and chopped.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of ghee or oil.
- It’s of Salt and pepper.
- You need of To garnish: some chopped spring onion and/ or coriander.
A warming delicious Dal for any day. Chana Dal, Toor Dal, Urad Dal, Dal Tadka, Dal If you haven't noticed yet, we love Indian brown lentils over here. Dals can be made in several ways with the Easy Dal Fry. Red and yellow lentils spiced with Indian spices and tempering.
Red lentil dal (vegan if you sub the ghee 😁) instructions
- Put the red lentils, water, turmeric, cumin and chilli in a saucepan (with a lid for later). Bring to the boil. Then turn down to a simmer, cover and simmer gently for about 20 mins. Stir it regularly so the lentils don’t stick. Add more water if needed..
- When the lentils are ready – or about 5 mins before, add the tomatoes to the pan and stir through. Take the lentils off the heat when ready. (You can also add spinach at this point- stirring it through so it wilts.).
- Heat the ghee or oil in a pan on a low- medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring regularly until soft..
- When the onion/ garlic are soft, stir them (and any ghee in the pan) into the lentils..
- Season. Serve and garnish with spring onions and coriander. Enjoy 😋.
Stir in the entire can of coconut milk, red lentils, broth, and salt. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered with the lid ajar, for about Happy Thanksgivng. I made a lentil Shepard pie, vegan stuffing and a mushroom gravy. For the veg it was Maple sriracha roasted Brussel sprouts.