sig's wholemeal and oat soda bread. Soda bread can be made with white or brown flour, although, as David points out in her English Bread and Yeast Cookery, there is little point using strong bread flour here: the Chef Richard Corrigan uses half wholemeal and half white flour in The Clatter of Forks and Spoons, and Darina Allen uses one. Oatmeal soda bread, a quick bread made with finely ground rolled oats, flour, buttermilk, egg, and leavened with baking soda. Oh my, there is something magical about this bread.
Typical ingredients include wheat flour, water, bicarbonate of soda, buttermilk or yoghurt, and sometimes cream of tartar, salt and butter. When made with wholemeal flour, the crumb can sometimes turn a slightly yellowish green. This is a wholemeal version of Irish soda bread, very quick and easy to make. You can cook sig's wholemeal and oat soda bread using 6 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of sig's wholemeal and oat soda bread
- Prepare 375 grams of stoneground wholemeal flour ( I buy wholemeal and seeds).
- Prepare 200 grams of plain white flour ,plus a little,extra for dusting…
- You need 25 grams of breakfast oats,.
- It’s 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda.
- It’s 1 tsp of seasalt.
- Prepare 600 ml of buttermilk approx..
Sift flours, salt, sugar, baking soda and oats (if using) together in a bowl. Most recipes for so called 'Rye' bread include wheat flour. So, if you have a sensitivity to wheat Share it with your friends. A wholesome breakfast bread that doesn't need any proving.
sig's wholemeal and oat soda bread step by step
- preheat oven to 230C/ gas 8.
- mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl ..
- make a well in centre.pour in about three quarters of the buttermilk and mix together ,pour in a little more buttermilk if needed the dough should be soft and sticky.
- turn onto floured surface and knead very lightly and briefly until it comes together in a ball, if you overknead it will make the bread heavy.Cut dough into two halves and briefly knead each half into rounds.
- slightly flatten each half to about 4 cm/ 1-2 inch thickness. Put them well apart on a baking sheet and dust with flour.
- cut a large deep cross into each round to about 1 cm of the base ..
- bake on middle shelf for 15 minutes then turn down to 200C/gas 6 ,bake for another ten minutes until well risen and the bread is a good golden colour with a good crust. They should sound hollow when you tap the base.Eat on the same day or latest within 48 hours.Cool on wire rack..
You can have it on the table (with plenty of butter and jam!) in less than an hour. The Best Wholemeal Flour Recipes on Yummly Wholegrain Rye Bread, Oatmeal Cookies With Chocolate And Apple, Surprise Pie. Soda bread ingredients – download this royalty free Stock Photo in seconds. Soda bread loaf in slices on a carved wooden bread board with loose oat flakes.