Singapore Hokkien Mee Recipe.
You can cook Singapore Hokkien Mee Recipe using 19 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Singapore Hokkien Mee Recipe
- Prepare of Prawn Stock:.
- Prepare 1.5 liters of water.
- You need 500 g of pork bones (or chicken bones) blanched in boiling water for 5 minutes & rinsed.
- It’s 500 g of local (lala) clams.
- Prepare 200 g of prawn shells.
- You need 1 of squid (sotong) insides cleaned.
- You need 8-12 of small or medium prawns with shells on.
- It’s 1 tsp of fish sauce to taste.
- You need 1/4 tsp of dark soy sauce to taste.
- You need of Hokkien Mee.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of lard oil (or vegetable oil) divided.
- Prepare 2 of small eggs lightly beaten.
- You need 250 g of yellow noodles.
- Prepare 150 g of rice vermicelli (bee hoon) usually thick bee hoon is used but thin bee hoon is fine as well.
- It’s 60 g of bean sprouts.
- It’s 1 tbsp of minced garlic.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of fried lard pieces optional.
- It’s 3 stalks of Chinese chives (koo chye) cut to 5 cm (2 in) length.
- It’s 2 of limes halved.
Singapore Hokkien Mee Recipe step by step
- For making homemade prawn stock: In a soup pot, add water, blanched pork bones, clams, and prawn shells..
- When water comes to a rapid boil, add squid and prawns; cook for 2 minutes and remove from pot..
- When cooled, peel the prawn shell (leaving the tail on); return the prawn heads and shells back to the soup pot..
- Slice the squid to thin rings..
- Continue simmering the stock for 40 minutes and strain the broth. Season the stock with fish sauce and dark soy sauce. Yields about 500ml of rich prawn stock..
- For making Hokkien Mee: Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok and add beaten egg. Scramble the egg quickly with a spatula until it is semi set..
- Add yellow noodles, rice vermicelli, bean sprouts, another tbsp of oil and 2 ladles of prawn stock. Stir fry on high heat for 1 minute..
- Push the wok contents to one side, add another 1 tbsp oil to the wok. Stir fry garlic and lard pieces for 15 seconds..
- Add chives, mix everything together, add 2 more ladles of stock and cover with lid to simmer/braise for 3 mins..
- Turn off the heat. Ladle the remaining stock over the cooked noodles. Return the prepared prawns and squid into the hot wok and mix in evenly with the noodles..
- Divide and portion to four serving plates. Serve each plate with a cut lime and some sambal at the side..
- PS: Some Hokkien mee is served with pork belly as well. Par-boil a piece of pork belly together with the soup stock. Slice to smaller pieces when cooled and add them to the wok when stir-frying the Hokkien noodles..