Seitan BBQ Chicken. This delicious vegan bbq seitan chicken recipe is made with our delicious homemade vegan bbq sauce for a finger licking good meal on the grill! Our very first seitan recipe As with all seitan recipes, there's a bit of patience and time needed, but overall it is so easy to make! Seitan is a meat substitute made from wheat protein (gluten).
Use seitan to make this addictive crispy fried 'chicken'. Try this delicious vegan party food with BBQ sauce, or in a bun with salad or coleslaw. Seitan is very high in protein, and it's also really chewy. You can have Seitan BBQ Chicken using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Seitan BBQ Chicken
- It’s 100 g of vital wheat gluten.
- Prepare 50 g of corn flour (it's going to be corn-fed chicken).
- It’s 140 g of water.
- You need 50 g of canola oil.
- It’s 20 g of sesame oil.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tsp of black pepper.
Some might even call its texture… meaty. Slather it in BBQ sauce… fry it chicken style… do your thang. It's a great way to veganize recipes. The sauce is finger licking good and you.
Seitan BBQ Chicken instructions
- Mix it all together in a bowl. Add the water last, a little at a time. Depending on your flour you might not be able to get that much water to absorb into the dough, so just add add much as you can..
- Knead it a bit. I try to stretch the fibers by rolling the dough into a sausage shape and then folding in half. Repeat. I believe that this helps the gluten to align in one direction kind of like muscle fibers. That's just a guess though..
- The more you knead the tougher your finished seitan will be. I like to go easy on it so the finished product has a texture more like tender meat. After you are done kneading, leave it for a few hours to relax or something..
- Slice the dough into 4 chicken breast sized pieces (mine has quite an authentic raw meat texture at this point) and marinade in a BBQ sauce of your choosing (about 1 hour marinade worked for me, but longer is always better)..
- Grill it on the BBQ. Brush more BBQ sauce into the steaks as they are cooking. Slice into strips. Dip the strips in more sauce if required. Add to pizza/fajitas/bibimbap etc..
These Grilled BBQ Seitan Skewers with colorful veggies and savory sauce, are perfect for summer I used Massel's Chicken-Style Low Sodium Bouillon for these BBQ Seitan Skewers and loved it! Texas BBQ seitan over whipped potatoes! Homemade coleslaw and homemade seitan come together to make a brand new sandwich. Make this oven-roasted BBQ chicken the BBQ chicken you eat weekday to weekend and all year long. The Easiest BBQ Chicken in the Oven.