Vegan Mushroom and Chestnut Stuffing.
You can cook Vegan Mushroom and Chestnut Stuffing using 11 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vegan Mushroom and Chestnut Stuffing
- You need 1 loaf of whole-grain bread.
- You need 175 grams of green or red lentils.
- It’s 75 ml of vegan butter.
- It’s 3 of medium onions (diced).
- You need 5-6 stalks of celery (diced).
- You need 3 of medium carrots.
- You need 400 grams of chestnut mushrooms.
- Prepare 1 package of chestnuts.
- Prepare 4 1/2 cups of vegetable broth.
- You need 1 of flax egg (see my recipe).
- It’s 1.5 tsp of fresh chopped sage (can lightly fry if you have time).
Vegan Mushroom and Chestnut Stuffing step by step
- Get a decent loaf of bread and cube it the night before and let it dry out. If you are pressed for time spread out the cubes on a baking tray and set your oven to a low temp (around 100 C) and bake for 30 minutes. Turning half way through..
- When you are about to make the stuffing. Start to cook your lentils. It takes about 30 minutes to do so, giving you plenty of time for the rest of the stuffing..
- Preheat your oven to 180C..
- While you lentils cook. Cut and dice your celery and onion first then sauté them until your onions are translucent..
- Chop up your chestnuts while you are sautéing the veg..
- Put your bread cubes in to a large mixing bowl and pour (2/3 of) your wet ingredients over evenly. Add your flax eggs to the mix at this point..
- Then add in your veg and chestnuts. Mix thoroughly. It should be of a consistency where it wants to stick together, but isn’t runny. Use stock as needed to achieve this..
- Grease a baking dish with a vegan spread. I use Flora..
- Transfer everything to baking dish and pat it down with the back of a spoon so it is evenly spread..
- Cover with foil. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes..
- Take the foil off and crank the oven up to 220C, then cook some more for about 10 minutes or more. You want a golden crusty top..