Jumbo ‘Chawanmushi’ with Chicken Shimeji Sauce.
You can cook Jumbo ‘Chawanmushi’ with Chicken Shimeji Sauce using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Jumbo ‘Chawanmushi’ with Chicken Shimeji Sauce
- Prepare 4 of Eggs.
- Prepare 400-450 ml of Dashi Stock / Chicken Stock.
- You need of *Note: The ratio of Egg to Stock is 1 : 2 (firm) or 1 : 2.5 (soft).
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of Salt.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Soy Sauce.
- Prepare of <Sauce Ingredients>.
- You need 100-150 g of Chicken Fillet *cut into small pieces.
- It’s 100 g of Shimeji (or other Asian mushrooms).
- It’s 1 cup of Dashi Stock / Chicken Stock.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Salt.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of Soy Sauce.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of Mirin.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Grated Ginger.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of Potato Starch Flour *mixed with 1 tablespoon Water.
- It’s 1 of Spring Onion *finely chopped.
Jumbo ‘Chawanmushi’ with Chicken Shimeji Sauce instructions
- Good quality real stock is perfect. If you make instant stock, place 400 to 450ml hot water in a saucepan or bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon Dashi or Bouillon Powder, then lightly season it with Salt and Soy Sauce as required, the amount of Salt and Soy Sauce depends on the saltiness of the stock. Cool slightly..
- Place Eggs in a large bowl, whisk lightly. Then add the warm (not hot) stock gradually, whisking constantly, and mix very well..
- Pour the egg mixture into a large bowl, OR 4 small bowls, cups, ramekins or whatever you use if individually served..
- Cook in hot steamer or you can cook using a pot. Alternatively microwave at a lower setting around 500W until the mixture is set..
- *Pot Method: Fill a pot with 2cm of water, place a large metal ring like egg ring or a plate (or something else to support the bowl) on the bottom, then heat. When the water starts steaming, carefully place the bowl on the plate, pour the egg mixture in the bowl, cover the pot and cook until the mixture is set. It will take around 10 minutes. Taking the bowl out safely might be tricky and you need to be very careful..
- Heat Stock and Ginger in a saucepan, season with Salt, Soy Sauce and Mirin. When it is boiling, add Chicken and Shimeji. Mix Potato Starch and Water in a small bowl and gradually add, stirring, to thicken the sauce. You might not need to use all the potato starch mixture..
- Cover the steamed savoury custard with the sauce, sprinkle plenty of chopped Spring Onion over and serve hot..