Vegan French Onion Soup.
You can have Vegan French Onion Soup using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vegan French Onion Soup
- It’s 50 g of dairy free butter.
- It’s 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 kg of onions, halved and thinly sliced.
- Prepare 1-2 tsp of sugar.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced.
- You need 2 tbsp of plain flour.
- It’s 250 ml of dry white wine.
- It’s 1.5 l of hot vegetable stock.
- It’s 2 slices of toast, per serving.
- It’s 200 g of vegan cheese, grated.
Vegan French Onion Soup instructions
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onions and fry with the lid on for 10 mins until soft..
- Sprinkle in the sugar and cook for 20 mins more, stirring frequently, until caramelised. The onions should be really golden, full of flavour and soft when pinched between your fingers. Take care towards the end to ensure that they don’t burn..
- Add the garlic cloves for the final few minutes of the onions’ cooking time, then sprinkle in the plain flour and stir well..
- Increase the heat and keep stirring as you gradually add the wine, followed by the vegetables stock. Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins..
- Serve with vegan grated cheese and toast slices..